Hannibal Housing Authority Administrative Office
A longtime client and friend, Jack McCord, former Executive Director of the Hannibal Housing Authority, wanted PWA to design the Housing Authorities’ new administrative offices. So the project could be adequately serviced during construction it was suggested that PWA associate with a local architect. PWA provided the design of the facility and the local firm provided the construction documents and construction administration.
Sustainable Design Highlights:
- Offices are positioned on the exterior wall of the building, stair-stepped to take advantage of the view, southern exposure and desirable winter solar gain.
- Offices, which have operable windows to increase natural ventilation, surround the common areas of the building including the lobby, reception area, conference room, work room and board room.
- To increase the energy-efficiency, roof overhangs allow the winter sun to heat and illuminate spaces while shutting out undesirable summer exposure.
- Unoccupied spaces on the north side of the building such as the janitor’s and mechanical storage rooms act as buffers against winter winds.
- A break room is located on the north side adjacent to the outdoor patio to take advantage of summer shade.
Housing Authority Facility
“I have noticed over the years that PWA has not only continued a high level of business knowhow, but has developed further knowledge of the housing industry rules and regulations in order to meet all the requirements needed and to help take the burden off the local agency.”