Last week we needed some comfort food to rival the previous week’s luncheon provided by our friends at CM Engineering. So we decided to make two crock pots of chili with all the fixings for an in-house lunch to celebrate some January events and milestones:
• Bailey Fogel joined our staff to assist with CAD drawings and interiors.
• Two of our staff members – Erik Miller and Dawn L. Andres – celebrated birthdays this month.
• Suzanne Wright came back to PWA 10 years ago.
We made one pot of traditional beef and sausage chili and another pot of this recipe, which was adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction by 12 Tomatoes with additional edits by PWA.
PWA Chicken Chili
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Chili (adapted) / Serves 8
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (Note 1: Dice into smaller pieces at the beginning)
- 2 (14 oz.) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce (Note 2: Sub 1 can original Rotel tomatoes w/ chilies-diced in lieu of tomato sauce)
- 1 (14 oz.) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 (8 oz.) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, garnish
- sour cream, garnish
- tortilla chips, garnish
- Place chicken breasts and chicken broth in the slow cooker, then add tomatoes, beans, corn, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, and garlic.
- Season with cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper, then stir everything together, turn the slow cooker on HIGH and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and place in a large bowl, then use two forks to shred chicken into small pieces. (Unless as noted above)
- Return chicken to slow cooker, add cream cheese. Stir everything together, then cover slow cooker and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes or until cream cheese is melted. /li>
- Transfer to serving bowls and serve with fresh cilantro and sour cream or tortilla chips.
- Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction by 12 Tomatoes with additional edits by PWA