Church Facility, Office
Missouri Conference of the United Methodist Church
“Being good stewards of available resources is an important value for our organization. PWA certainly helped us incorporate environmental values into our building design.”
This 12,000 sq. ft. one story over half basement church addition to the south side of the existing sanctuary at Parkade Baptist Church includes a new elevator, Narthex, greeting space, six classrooms and restrooms on the main level. The lower level of the church addition has mechanical spaces, a commercial kitchen and a multipurpose space which accommodates approximately 175 people seated at tables.
- To maximize green areas and mitigate storm water runoff, parking for the building was laid out to drain inward to a “bio-retention” or rain garden area.
- The glass front entrance to the building faces south, which maximizes southern solar exposure.
- The exterior is landscaped with native plants and includes earthen berms to minimize exposure to north winds.
- Occupied office spaces are located on the exterior walls of the building to maximize views.
- Operable windows in offices open to the south to allow for prevailing summer breezes.
- Clerestory windows let natural daylight deep into the interior space of the building.
- Energy-efficient HVAC and lighting increase the overall efficiency of the building.
- Environmentally sensitive materials were specified including linoleum, a rapidly renewable resource, Forest Stewardship Council certified lumber and
- Urea formaldehyde-free oriented strand board for the roof and wall sheathing.
- Flyash in the concrete reduced the amount of required Portland cement
- Recycled materials were selected for the countertops and toilet partitions.
- The exterior roof cladding is standing seam metal manufactured with over 90 percent recycled content.